Robert Swinney

Harold knows exactly how to cut through the BS, doesn't he?

Harold, Harold - he'll true you true
If he don't know it,
Nobody do.

Bob Swinney

"DE" wrote in message
snip-----

Interested in any thoughts...

DE

Bad idea. Only under very controlled conditions should one weld on heat
treated items. What are the risks if you have a failure? If none,
give
it a go, but I think you'll find it's a false economy. Anything you save
in
material you'll spend in labor tearing it down more frequently. You'll
either anneal the bolts by welding on them, or create fracture zones so
they
fail if they are still heat treated when you're finished. Being carbon
steel, I think they'll be annealed instead, so you'll have lost all the
advantages of grade 8 bolts, and introduced stress areas.

It will be interesting to hear how this goes.

Harold