John Rumm

Default Fitting shower fan/light

Dougie Nisbet wrote:

I'm looking at two models on screwfix and apart from the dimensions and a 10
pounds price difference, I can't see whether one is better than the other.
The extraction rates and noise levels are the same. The links a

125mm

100mm

I've read the specs several times and can't see what the difference is. Is
there any point in getting the more expensive one?

At a risk of stating the obvious - the difference would appear to be
25mm! If they both are genuinely designed to extract at the same rate
the only obvious difference I can see is that the larger fan will
probably spin a little slower and hence may create a lower pitched sound
than the smaller fan - even if the absolute noise level is the same.

The smaller fan may prove a little simpler to fit since it requires
smaller cut outs and the ducting is narrower.

And on the subject, I was thinking abot replacing the main light, an
unnatractive fluorescent strip, and putting in downlighters instead.
Something like
perhaps. I've lifted a couple of floorboards above the bathroom ceiling and
the ceiling is lath and plaster. Can I fit downlighters in this material?

Can't see why not - as long as you can cut a neat enough hole in it, and
the ceiling is not so thick as to prevent the clips on the lights
working correctly you should be fine.

--
Cheers,

John.