Don Bruder

In article t,
RoyJ wrote:

Usual rule of thumb is that nut is stronger than the bolt when the nut
thickness is .7 x the bolt diameter. This varies with various grades of
bolt but it is a good start. So any thread length over 1/2" is not doing
anything useful.

Unless it's being used as an adjustment point, in which case, it's not
only doing something useful, it may be crucial to the proper functioning
of the final product (of which we know nothing other than the fact that
Grant is trying to build it) just by virtue of existing.

I still think the best bet on this little project is to get a suitable
length and size of all-thread, drill/tap the hole, thread the nut onto
the allthread, then the all-thread into the hole, run the nut down the
all-thread to butt up against the hole like you would a jam-nut, but not
"jam" tight - Just run it down until you've got contact with the base
plate the hole is in, then adjust until the all-thread turns easily and
start welding it down. Once finished, unscrew the all-thread from both
pieces, and I would expect that things will be golden.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.