Karl Vorwerk

The hardware store has graphite packing in the plumbing section. Usually
only one size though.
Karl

"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message
Clerance should be a nice 'sliding fit'... that translates to about .001

OK. Glad I asked because I was going to shoot for 2 thou.

flute chucking reamer, that way the bore is EXACT. Always bore the
cylinder
first and make your pistons to match, and don't worry, we ALL screw up
pistons now and then and they aren't that hard to make from scratch.

I will bore the cylinder on the mill with a boring head. It is a bit
tedious but I get a better finish that way. I will probably make a
lap to polish it afterwards. I did that with a hit-and-mill engine
and the bore came out wonderful.

lubricator when you run on steam won't you :-)

I bought the PM Research lubricator when I bought the horizontal boiler.
I also got the nice minature gauge. Pretty expensive package today.

FWIW, a lot of live steamers use brass for the pistons... If you use brass
and graphite string as the ring you will never have a piston rust to the
cylinder...

I like this. Simple but effective. Where do I get graphite string and
what size do I need? Multiple turns in a groove? FYI the piston is
1 inch diamter and 5/16 long.

Someone asked about buying CI for pistons and rings. CI bar stock
is widely available. I have bought it from MSC, enco and metal express.
Not too expensive and turns really nice! Almost like cutting butter.

FYI, I am building the 7A and #8. They share a lot of parts so I
figured it would be easier to build them in parallel, but my focus
is to get the horizontal running on the PM research boiler. I got the
reversing gears for the 7a too. These kits are from the 1960s.
The castings look real nice and machine well. The plans are one
piece of paper. Included hardware is BA sized. I will change to
american taps sizes. I don't remember what I paid, but it was in
the neighborhood of 130 for each kit (including cylinder drain cocks
and the reversing gears). A bargain by todays prices of 157 pounds.

chuck