Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:05:29 GMT, machineman
wrote:

The Copies are made by Feeler. I did a lot of small prototype **** on
this machine, it held up pretty well. I don't know if they are
available in the US, but at the time we got one it was half the price of
a Hardinge 25k vs 50k cnd$ in 89.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/feeler/

I repair a lot of Feelers and Goodways (they both come from the same
factory..the Chinese Red Dragoon Noodle and Machine Tool Collective)

and are not bad. Fit and finish is about 80% of the Hardinges they are
copied from, though some materials used are inferior. Most Feelers
have the feed clutches go out inside of 3 or 4 yrs of steady use. Or
sooner.

I own a Feeler and am quite attached to it. Are the clutch
parts readily available if/when I need them? The only
problem I've had with the lathe is loose connections to the
feed motor commutator. A new motor was $600 - I spent a few
hours under a microscope resoldering the connections and
it's held up for a few years so far. I get the feeling that
this may be a weak spot as well because when I called about
the motor the guy knew almost immediately what the price
was. Or maybe he just knew he could make 300% selling *any*
little DC motor for $600 g.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/Feeler05.JPG

Ned Simmons