carl mciver

"Andrew Werby" wrote in message

| "Roger Hull" wrote in message
| s.net...
| I have zero foundry experience. I want to melt a few pounds of Copper and
| cast it into backup plates for welding. What should I make the crucible
| and
| moulds out of? OR, is it possible to buy a crucible somewhere?
| Thanks.
|
| Roger in Vegas
| Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer
|
| [Nobody casts pure copper. It takes a lot of heat, and oxidizes badly. If
| you want back-up plates for welding, why not just get some copper plate
and
| cut it up?]
|
| Andrew Werby
| www.unitedartworks.com

So that reminds me of a question I've had for awhile. What's the best
places to get copper plate, and what are the sizes and shapes we should be
looking for? Are there sizes that are more versatile than others? What is
the common ways of securing them in place while welding? Obviously magnets
won't work, so what's best?