Jeff Wisnia

Sherman wrote:

I just watched the segment on PBS about Home Funerals.

I'd like to start early on the pine box. We both weigh under 170
lbs and I don't forsee a problem with 1x lumber. Dont' want the
thing coming apart when it goes to the cememtery. Any suggestions?

Also, it is hot here in Texas and we may need to take a little extra
precaution to keep the smell down for a couple of days until the plot
is ready. Maybe make a spray bottle full of purcel to spray over the
body and in the orifices? Any suggestions?

Sherman

If you're handy with a router you could get fancy and make the parts
with dovetailed joints like this one:

http://www.woodcaskets.org/index.html

That way they could be stored under your bed until they're needed. G

For those who didn't have a prior need to know, a traditional Jewish
coffin is supposed to have no metal parts in it so that it can readily
decompose completely to fulfil that "dust to dust" admonition.

Some of the "kosher caskets" I've seen have several large holes through
their bottoms to permit easy entry of moisture and help speed their
contents back to the earth.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia