Good Music

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You want us to believe

* The fire department used water hose on what was obviously an electric
stove
* That you, the home owner, was the person who turned off the breaker

Sir, we'll assume for the moment that you are telling the truth. I'd be

sure
to contact your local fire department and tell them that their hose

jockeys
are desperately in need of some training. Actually, you could use some
training, too.

Wow, didn't know we have trolls on home repair newsgroup too, guess you
can't escape them anywhere...

Anyway, I'll take the bait this time:

(1) I turned of ALL the breakers inside the house. This did not shut off
the power to the stove. It turns out the stove power in our hose is wired
directly to the electic meter box on the outside wall of our house. The
firemen took heavy pliars and cut off the lock that was on that meter box,
which had been put there by the electric company when the house was built 7
years ago. Inside the (previously locked) meter box, we found switches to
turn off the kitchen 240v range outlet, the outdoor air conditioner
condenser unit, and the electric motor to the furnace/AC in the attic. The
fire captain said he'd never seen anything like that. I checked with
neighbors and all our houses are the same. This is the type workmanship
we've come to expect from new subdivision developments unfortunately. This
is the result of very poor planning in the wiring of our house, and we're
hiring an electrician to come in & install an indoor switch to turn off at
least the kitchen range outlet.

(2) Yes, The fire department sprayed the inside of the oven with some kind
of liquid solution from a tank once the unit was unplugged and the fire was
out, to cool it down, since it had gotten abnormally hot and the insulation
was fuming.

(3) Called G.E. and they said yes, this model was recalled, but only the
units made around 2004; mine was made in 1998 or so, so they said that
although it's the same model, it's outside the time period of units G.e. has
deemed defective. I told them to send a rep out and He can plug it back in
and watch it throw flames and sparks. They said if they send out a rep,. it
will be on a "service call" basis, and they'll charge me $50 just for him to
come out to the house and decide if he wants to make a record of it as a
defect, but they're not going to replace it since it's over a year old, even
if it burned the house down, they seemed to indicate they feel they have no
responsibility or legal liability because the G.e. 1-year warranty has
expired. We're going to decide if it's worth the hassle of small claims
court just to recoup the cost of an equvalent replacement (since it didn't
actually cause any damage thank goodness).

Anyway, the original purpose of this post was to find out if anyone had
similar problems - if so let me know, thanks.