Ian Stirling

I'm installing a new sink and have found a pretty convenient hot water
pipe that goes to the bath close by. The problem is that the existing
hot pipe is firmly fixed and as such has no play in it. This means
that if I cut a section out to install the new Tee fitting, there is no
play in the pipe to get both ends of the cut pipe into the Tee fitting.
The existing pipe goes under the floor boards, so it is not easy to
just disconnect it at one end to get some free movement. Any ideas on
how to put a Tee fitting into this?

BTW I'm spending the money saved on getting a real plumber in on a
fortnight in Greece!

Is vaseline that expensive nowadays?

Several ways.
Generally, the idea is to cut out enough pipe in order that the
fittings (say a couple of straight couplings, two bits of pipe, a T) can
be assembled onto the pipe.
If the fittings normally have the pipes go in 20mm, for example, and make
an adequate seal with 15mm of pipe in them, then that gives you 5mm of slack
each fitting, meaning that you can get enough slack to put a fitting on with
only 3 fittings - which straight couplings and a T can get you.
I'd use end-feed for this, as it's more flexible, but solder ring would be
fine as long as you pay attention.
If you don't especially care about flowrate in the other pipe, you could
use 4 bends, 4 bits of pipe, and a T, to make a "U" shaped loop of pipe to
connect to.