Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:57:24 GMT, (Gerard Bok) wrote:

On 24 Aug 2005 09:13:10 -0700,
wrote:

Garage door opener power supply transformer has an opened primary. It's
actually a burnt coil wire right on the pin. I did manage to solder it
back on but I'm worried it may fail again.

You better be worried about a fire hazard !
There usually is a good reason for a transformer to burn it's
coil.

There is nothing basically wrong with resoldering the part, but
_please_ make sure that there is some thermal cutout device in
the circuit. (And that it is thermically coupled to the
transformer.)

Don't most/all transformer primaries have this?

Tom