Patriarch

"Tom in PA" wrote in news:1124844836.029078.65270
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Hi! I'm trying to redo the finish on some of the stairs of an oak
staircase. The staircase is finished in what I'd call the traditional
golden oak look, but it's relatively light-colored compared to some
golden oak pieces that I've stained on my own. So I'm just wondering
if anyone has ever compared various maker's golden oak stain to see
which are lighter vs. darker, as I think that something on the lighter
side would be the best match for the existing stairs. Recommendations?

Thanks in advance! Tom in PA

If you simply sand red oak to 150 or 180, and apply a blonde shellac, or a
slightly thinned varnish, without stain, you get a lovely golden oak. The
natural ambering will get you what you want.

Minwax Natural Wood Finish is essentially uncolored thin varnish.

Staining is not a required step, and it's likely that the finisher of your
stairs bypassed it. I would, on a floor, if possible. One more thing that
has to dry undisturbed.

Patriarch,
who has been having good experiences with McCloskey's varnish products
lately.