Harold and Susan Vordos

"Greg" wrote in message
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Trust me-----you will *never* be comfortable running machine tools until

you
understand cutter theory. It really sets you free.

Harold,

Is there a good reference with (explanations and illustrations) that
teaches the ins-and-outs of tool grinding?

Thanks,

Greg

Sorry to say, I'm not familiar with one. I was fortunate to have been
trained under experienced machinists. I can't even say with certainty which
amongst them taught me anything about grinding toolbits, although I did run
cutter grinders for a brief interval and that solidified the concept.
Strangely, my tutor in grinding was a terrible machinist, but an outstanding
grinder.

Some folks seem to have the ability to grind cutting tools that work, and
I'm one of them. The bulk of what I've learned came from using the tools.
When you grind a chip breaker that isn't working, it doesn't take long until
you understand why, and how to correct it. The best advice I can offer is
to understand the features, and how they affect a cut---then practice what
you know until you're grinding good tools. That worked for me.

Good luck! You can do it.

Harold