Olaf

"Dennis Straussfogel" wrote in message

Pardon my ignorance (I've worked on electric
motors, but not refrigerator/freezer compressors) but is there a motor
inside the "sealed football" and why is it sealed up? Seems like it
could be made much more serviceable if the motor and compressor pump
were separate. Again pardon my ignorance--I only have a doctorate in
aerospace engineering, not refrigeration mechanics! TIA.

Denny

I believe the system is hermetically sealed to eliminate a possible leak. If
you have an external motor, it's kinetic energy will have to be transferred
somehow from outside the compressor pump: generally a shaft.

A magnetic-drive system is feasible, but not practical as far as expense
IMO; especially since the hermetically sealed system is tried and true. They
generally don't need servicing and are 'cheap' enough to replace if
absolutely necessary.