PipeDown

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
My best guess is bad starting components on the compressor. An appliance
guy
can install a hard start kit, and you can have many years more service
from
your freezer.

I've installed a bunch of hard start kits. The last time I talked with a
customer, he said Sears got him $180 for a hard start kit (Gemline) on his
refrig, and it lasted about a year. I charge much less than that (and use
Supco) and seldom have a callback.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Dennis Straussfogel" wrote in message
I have an old Westinghouse freezer (left behind by PO) that when plugged
in runs for half a second, stops, sits for about ten second, then kicks
on for another half second, stops, and so on. Any thoughts on what might
be wrong and if it's an easy fix (e.g. cleaning contacts, or whatever)
or best taken to the dump. TIA for any opinions.

Denny

My best resource is the guy at the local appliance parts store. I just tell
him what I have and he tells me what is wrong even before I finish
explaining the symptoms.

A jammed compressor would have a bit longer run/reset time than you
described, it certainly could be something like a relay or motor cap

Yes, the sealed compressor has an integrated motor and they are virtually
impossible to service. I tried to cut one open once and barely scratched
the metal (maybe if I had an air grinder....).