Stuart Noble

Set Square wrote:
Chris ] wrote:

We live in a very hard water area and need to de-scale the electric
kettle often. We have tried various de-scaling products, including
vinegar.
The best was "Scale Away" crystals from Tesco.

But that's quite expensive - and I bet it's something ordinary like
sodium citrate. Does anyone know what the chemical actually is - and
where it might be obtained cheaply in bulk?

The instructions which came with my Morphy Richards concealed element kettle
recommend getting citric acid crystals from a chemist. I haven't tried it
yet!

About 60p for 100 gms, which should be enough for half a dozen descales.
You can re-use it if you're really tight.
I use the same tub of dilute sulphamic for the shower head for a year or
so....