John Martin

DoN. Nichols wrote:

But -- if you are willing to purchase (and have the ability to
store) longer pieces, try to find a local steel vendor and buy it in 20
foot lengths (I think that is the standard length.)

Depending on the type of steel and the vendor, you may as often find
that 12 feet is the standard bar length. At least it was for 1-1/4"
12L14 and 7/8" 1018 CRS when I bought a copple of pieces at American
Steel in South Portland, Maine a couple of months ago.

It was a nice surprise to find that they were again consumer-friendly,
even taking credit cards. A few years back, they wouldn't sell to me
and insisted I go down the street and order through a customer - he
phoned in the order, I paid hoim, and I picked it up - even though I
knew exactly what I wanted, a single bar of 1-1/2" 12L14, and had cash.

Only disappointment this time was finding I'd left a hacksaw and
measuring tape on the step bumper....

John Martin