George E. Cawthon

JohnR66 wrote:
"Dennis Straussfogel" wrote in message

I have an old Westinghouse freezer (left behind by PO) that when plugged
in runs for half a second, stops, sits for about ten second, then kicks
on for another half second, stops, and so on. Any thoughts on what might
be wrong and if it's an easy fix (e.g. cleaning contacts, or whatever)
or best taken to the dump. TIA for any opinions.

Denny

Is it just humming, or does it sound as the compressor motor is actually
running. When my fridge did this, I found the starting relay was sticking. I
bought a new one (solid state) and it has been fine ever since. Costs about
$20.
John

I had a refrigerator that did this also.
Repairman changed the start switch to a new
solidstate one. Worked ok for a while (a few
years), then stated acting up again. So I bought
a hard start kit (just a large capacitor). No
problems since (many many years).