ameijers wrote:
" wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:
I was just wondering if there were any tamper proof thermostats widely
available for residential use? I'm talking about possibly a digital
readout that would require a code so that others cannot alter the
settings. Please post any links or info, Thanks!

Greetings,

I had this same problem and here is how I solved it.

a) purchase 2 $10 digital thermostats
b) install one of the new thermostates INSIDE THE WALL where the
existing thermostat is wired to the heater
c) patch the wall
d) install the other thermostat, a dummy, with dummy wires running to
it in front

Don't most digital thermostats have batteries in them to maintain memory?

I suspect the batteries are required for the thermostats you mention to
operate but that the settings are stored in eeprom.

Seal it in the wall, once battery dies, you are SOL.

a) use lithium batteries and it may last 10+ years
b) get the type that runs off wall current
c) use a ac-dc transformer in place of batteries

I agree with the other posters- teach the kid or other offender, or buy one
of those clear lock-boxes with the vents, to install around the thermostat.
Any wall-mount lock-box could be adapted, just drill enough holes for
venting, but the clear ones are slightly less ugly. Might have to go to a
real supply house, not the big-box, to find one. Or maybe if there is a
cover over the buttons, just devise some sort of lockout or seal for that.
If you are handy, you could even build a recessed cabinet into the stud
space, mount the 'stat in that, and put a locking glass door on the front,
like an old-time office fire alarm. Again, be sure to vent it, so the thing
gets a true reading of air temp.

If the offender is a tenant who is in the process of eviction wishing
to run up your utilities out of spite you won't be able to "teach
them". Again, vent holes are a good way to gain access to the unit
with a wire of some sort.

aem sends...

Hope this helps,
William

PS: If it is in fact your kids you do have bigger problems.