ameijers

" wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:
I was just wondering if there were any tamper proof thermostats widely
available for residential use? I'm talking about possibly a digital
readout that would require a code so that others cannot alter the
settings. Please post any links or info, Thanks!

Greetings,

I had this same problem and here is how I solved it.

a) purchase 2 $10 digital thermostats
b) install one of the new thermostates INSIDE THE WALL where the
existing thermostat is wired to the heater
c) patch the wall
d) install the other thermostat, a dummy, with dummy wires running to
it in front

Don't most digital thermostats have batteries in them to maintain memory?
Seal it in the wall, once battery dies, you are SOL.

I agree with the other posters- teach the kid or other offender, or buy one
of those clear lock-boxes with the vents, to install around the thermostat.
Any wall-mount lock-box could be adapted, just drill enough holes for
venting, but the clear ones are slightly less ugly. Might have to go to a
real supply house, not the big-box, to find one. Or maybe if there is a
cover over the buttons, just devise some sort of lockout or seal for that.
If you are handy, you could even build a recessed cabinet into the stud
space, mount the 'stat in that, and put a locking glass door on the front,
like an old-time office fire alarm. Again, be sure to vent it, so the thing
gets a true reading of air temp.

aem sends...