Bruce L. Bergman

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:00:12 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Lot of great ideas have been posted. You bring up the issue of fit. Well, I
couldn't find 3/8" hard copper tubing (the straight stuff) at any local easy
places like Home Depot or McLendon (a real good local hardware store) so I just
bought some soft 3/8" copper tubing. The problem with soft roll copper 3/8"
tubing is it's actually a lot bigger than 3/8" inside, at least .385". So what I
thought would be a slip fit wound up being a rattle fit. I wish I knew where to
buy 3/8" copper pipe -- that's 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD. I'm sure Alaska Copper has it
downtown, but I'd probably have to buy a 20' section and I only need 1' so I'd
be paying 20X the price which is something I ain't gonna do.

Need 3/8" tubing? Check at your friendly local refrigeration supply
house - even in Alaska people need AC and refrigeration systems...

They use 3/8 and all the other odd "in-between" sizes in their
lines, in both hard and soft copper tube - the refrigerant has to move
through the lines at the right velocity to move the oil back to the
compressor, so they need a broad size selection.

If they don't have any 'damaged' lengths, they might know a local
contractor who has ordered that size recently, and can fish some
cut-off pieces out of his Copper Scrap pile.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545