william_b_noble

agree on spoilers, it was late.
disagree slightly on horizontal stabilizer - it provides pitch stability,
yes, but (ok, danger, aero type statement to follow) pitch angle really
controls airspeed, not altitude.

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
Mostly right. However, spoiler is surface deployed from top surface of
wing to reduce lift. The extensions of the leading edge to enhance lift
are called slats or leading edge flaps.

Speed brakes can be on virtually ANY part of plane, but ones on top
surface of wings are generally spoilers. Exception is F-15 speed brake-
which is on top of fuselage but over the wing area.

The horizontal stabilizer is to provide stability in pitch and
altitude-hold-stability rather than directional stability.

william_b_noble wrote:
harold - don't think so - pilots and aero engineers use the same terms
for the control surfaces - off the top of my head:

Aileron - control surface at the trailing edge of the wing that is moved
up and down to change the rate of bank
spoiler - extension on leading edge of wing to enhance lift at low speed
flap - extension to back of wing to enhance lift at low speed
speed brake - panel that extends from top of wing to increase drag
elevator - control surface at the back of the horizontal stabilizer used
to control pitch or pitch trim
rudder - control surface at the back of the vertical stabilizer used to
control yaw
stabilizer - horizontal or vertical wing at back of airplane providing
directional stability

no, I'm not an aero engineer, but I did design the first digital
automatic pilot certified for use in cat III landings on passenger
carrying planes