Jon Grimm

EuroNorm.
Hmmph.
I have an Aussie customerr whose aussie engineers use EN material specs on
their drawings, as well as metric stock sizes.
I am constantly asking permission to use commonly available material grades
and sizes.
I have yet to find an American material vendor that even knows what euronorm
is, much less is willing to cross reference.

For you guys working smaller machine tools, 12L14, 1215, 11L17, in
stainless, 303, and brass, 360.
When permissable, the only way to fly. Costs more, but performs.

"manytoys" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am new to metalworking, and am struggling with my new lathe (9x20?)to
achieve decent surface finishes on steel parts. Currently I am working
with bright mild steel, but have just ordered some EN8, EN19 and SS304
to do comparative tests.
I do not have the ability to flood cool the job, I am considering
adapting to flood coolant system for use with soluble oil. Is this
worthwhile?

I am cutting with a Korloy insert tool, 50 m/min speed and 0.1 mm/rev
feed, which is conservative.

Any suggestions ??