DoN. Nichols

In article t,
Peter Grey wrote:

"Rex B" wrote in message

[ ... ]

OK, so for us stateside folks, if I want a free-machining leaded steel
round 1.25 diameter, what do I ask for, and where?

While hardly an expert, I've found 12L14 easy to machine while leaving a
nice finish. I'm suspect others will chime in with more suggestions.

That would have been my suggestion as well. As for where -- it
depends on how much length you want. There are several on-line metal
vendors who will sell you short pieces at premium prices.

But -- if you are willing to purchase (and have the ability to
store) longer pieces, try to find a local steel vendor and buy it in 20
foot lengths (I think that is the standard length.)

EBay auctions offer small pieces of lots of interesting steels
and other metals, but the shipping can be a killer, as most metals and
alloys are quite heavy.

And -- if you are part of a local metalworking club, group
purchases are a possibility. Either with new prices for the long stock,
or with some eBay auctions which are lots just too large to be within
the reach of a single bidder.

We have one member of our local club who specializes in what he
calls "stolen chickens" -- which are often things being gotten rid of by
his previous employer (before he retired). He still supplies such
things, and they appear a the meetings, often with a feeding frenzy.

There was a lot of hex 12L14 on eBay a year or two ago for which
we got together a list of who would commit to buy how much, and once we
had enough subscriptions, the buy was made. Since he is retired, and
has both a pickup truck and a trailer, he was able to drive some
distance to pick up the metal, and brought it back to distribute it.
The size was just the maximum hex which would fit through my 12x24"
Clausing's spindle with the 5C collet drawbar removed, so it worked out
quite nicely for me.

Perhaps you can get together a similar club activity.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564