DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Nick Müller wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote:

in the US we call BMS "drill rod" and it actually makes quite a difference
what kind of drill rod I turn. To get a good finish, I mean.

I thought that "drill rod" is what the British call "silver steel",
and BMS is what you call CRS.

That is correct. Drill rod is *not* a mild steel by any stretch
of the imagination.

Probably the nicest machining steel is what is labeled 12L14
here in the US -- a lead alloy to improve free cutting, and low enough
carbon so it is not particularly tough (or hardenable) anyway. What it
is *not* good for is weldability, from what I understand.

What I *don't* remember is what the UK calls hot rolled steel.
(Could they call it the same as the US?)

Enjoy
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564