Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"69strat" wrote:

My wife and I had a house built in a new development which was on a
culdesac a couple years ago. It was nice and quiet, we took months to
find and pick the perfect spot. The builder was going to continue
building in the development but this was to stay a culdesac. He bailed
out right after we bought and sold off the land. The new builder's are
adding a street right next to our house.

This means now we lose all of our side property as it becomes an
easement. We can't put up a fence due to zoning laws on corner houses
here. Also some have said our taxes will increase being a corner lot!

We are getting ready for our first born and wouldn't have bought a
corner lot with a lot of traffic. We also were getting ready to put up
the backyard fence and now find we can't. I feel betrayed. I don't
think there's anything i can do outside of selling, but wanted to know
for sure.

Sorry, somethings not right with this.

In most areas of the US, streets & subdivisions are platted long before the
first foundation or curb gets put in. Changing that plat requires the permission
of the appropriate authority, which in turn usual means hearings and
notifications to the propery owners affected within a certain distance.

If you bought into a private subdivision, have you significantly less protection
from changes, but there should still be some sort of planning approval process
followed.

Did you review the official property plat before you purchased the house? Note
that builder marketing material does not constitute a binding document.

Second, have you checked with your municipality planning department and see if
all the proper procedures were followed for changing the plat?