tony sayer

In article , Hzatph
writes

"Pete C" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:45:49 +0000 (UTC), "Hzatph"
wrote:

I would suspect that, but both these items are switched off. We have kept
log of things that trip the RCD and it is a long list - there is no
regular
pattern.

Hi,

I wonder if the neutrals on the the two consumer units are connected
somewhere, maybe on a lighting circuit.

Does the TV trip the RCD on switch on? If so it's probably the large
current draw from the degauss circuit.

That shouldn't make any difference.

A good way to track down the fault would be isolate each L-N circuit
in turn by disconnecting the neutral as well as just pulling the fuse.

Yes you can do that..

Be very careful though, no responsibility accepted if you fry
yourself! :^)

cheers,
Pete.

Pete - you are correct in your statement that it is switching the TV on. I
wonder about a neutral connection and also about the degauss type effect.
Thank you. We are going to change the 30mA RCD for a 100mA one and replace
the fused consumer unit with a modern one with 30mA RCDs on the ring mains
and power spurs.This should ease the problem we hope, and it if continues to
happen then we will have a better idea of where the fault lies.

You really shouldn't have to do that. You have either a fault in an
appliance somewhere, or you have some leakage somewhere either live to
earth or neutral to earth.

We have 6 properties and some commercial premises where a single 30 ma
RCD protects the lot in each case, and around one trip every year or two
is about the norm for the lot!, and thats usually a cooker element or
immersion heater giving up the ghost, and one of the "premises" which is
on a remote hilltop, the odd lightning strike!......
--
Tony Sayer