Chris Hodges

John Schmitt wrote:
The markers are usually UV fluorescent and yes, the police do go over
any suspected stolen items with a UV lamp. If it is visibly marked, and
the police turn up with something you have sold on, one hopes that you
(not personally, generally)have sufficient honesty to direct them to the
buyers. Normal procedure would appear to be to strike through the old
postcode, leaving it legible, but clearly invalidated and append the new
one. This applies to moving address too. This allows an amount of
backtracking if needed.

I've got a UV pen, but some of my PC kit is marked with "alpha dot" IIRC
which is tiny particles in a sort of varnish. This is from when I lived
with my parents, who bought the kit.

I know what you mean about honesty on the visible markings, but I'm sure
it will reduce the legit resale value just as much as the stolen
property value.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk