Rex B

A comment on surface finish. Mild steel, which appears to be the topic
of discussion, is amongst the worst of materials to machine in that it loves
to tear. Only when carbide is employed along with a high surface speed and
proper depth of cut and feed will it cut otherwise. The addition of
lead to steel makes it machine beautifully----so if you'd like some success
with surface finishes, try machining some of it. Your metals supply house
could provide you with proper designations.
Harold

OK, so for us stateside folks, if I want a free-machining leaded steel
round 1.25 diameter, what do I ask for, and where?

Rex B