Chris Lewis

According to eastcoastguyz :
I'm looking at putting in new pre-finished hardwood floors (3/4 inch),
and from one company they advise that American Cherry is the softest
wood and shouldn't be used in high traffic area. Anyone have experience
with this installed in their homes? Any problems related to the
American Cherry to comment on? Thanks!

Cherry isn't the softest wood. It may be that company's softest wood,
but there's much that's softer.

Too soft? Some people think white pine is hard enough (white pine
is usually much softer than cherry), so it depends on a lot of factors.

It's probably a mistake to expect a high gloss cherry installation
to stand up to heavy traffic. It won't do as well as oak or maple.
But they aren't perfect either.

Brazillian Cherry looks quite a bit like American Cherry, but it ain't
a member of the same family. If you want the appearance of high gloss
American Cherry in a high traffic area, BC is probably the right
choice.

I personally think American Cherry is the best looking of all woods,
but I wouldn't use it for flooring in a high traffic area, unless
I was interested in the slightly distressed look.

Cherry darkens dramatically when exposed to light. That's part of it's
beauty (artificially staining it dark is blasphemy, and looks fake). But
it can lead to wierdities in flooring (or furniture) for the first couple
years until it equalizes.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est