David C. Partridge

Hmmm are you looking at the surface mount (SO20) version or the "powerdip"
version? The datasheet for the original part is he

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...1358/l4963.pdf

The packaging determines which suffix applies ... these ALWAYS have a suffix
though it may not be printed on the chip.

I don't have any, but I think you could probably sub the whole thing with an
L296P (available from Maplin at about a fiver) which will cover 5-40V up to
4A, though you'd have to rig up a daughter board and wire that to the
original circuit and substitute a few components to get the right O/P
voltage.

Datasheet for L296P is he

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...re/ds/1333.pdf

Their site also has application notes to DL.

You might also be able to use the L4962 which RS Components stock and will
sell in units of 1 at £2.65 plus the vodka and tonic (yes this too has a
different pinout, and fewer pins than the 4963).

Dave
"Dave Saville" wrote in message
. uk...
I am trying to source an L4963 ( no suffix) switching regulator chip to

repair
a home control
PC board.

Unfortunately everyone I have been able to track down as having these will

only
sell in 100's or has a minimum order value of 50 quid or more! I only want

one
and they are about a fiver. :-(

TIA

--

Regards

Dave Saville

NB Remove no-spam- for good email address