James Sweet

I forgot to mention that I also use it for dial-up computer access!

Although my dial-up connection speed has varied quite a bit, in about
15 connections since then, it has never gotten the speed it used to
get often. At least 13K short. More I think on most occasions, but
if I have enough time, I'll have more data.

I know with cable TV a bad connection can cause reflections. Do you
think a solder joint that is thicker than the original wire was, or
more or less conductive than the original wire, can cause a reflection
or some other phenomenon, that would decrease dial-up speed, even this
week when the connection is as good as it will ever be.

Now, I'm not sure that any repair they can do will leave me in as good
as a situation as I was last Sunday.

But you've convinced me that it would be better than what I did.

Just have the phone guy come out and fix it, it'll be as good as new. This
stuff is not nearly as critical as RF, but it does require a good watertight
splice. If I'd cut my own line I'd fix it myself, but in this case it's not
your dime so just have them take care of it.