DoN. Nichols

In article . com,
Bugs wrote:
I found the equation, which is for U.S./Brown & Sharp gage for wire. It
is accurate to 0.0001" over the whole range from 7/0 to 50 gage. B & S
pioneered the use of accurate mathematical models for standardization.
The 0,00,000 . . . series are put into the formula as negative numbers,
00 corresponding to -1.
INVLOG(-.05035 * GAGE# - .48825) = T [Thickness in Inches]

Hmm ... nothing seems to work out for me with this. I have a
few questions:

1) the part in the parens is ambiguous, and will give different
results in different computer languages. Could you add an extra
layer of parens to force the order of evaluation? E.g.:

((-0.05035 * Gauge# ) - 0.48825)

or

(-0.05035 * (Gauge# - 0.48825))

2) Which log is your "INVLOG()" function? Base-10 or Base-e?

No matter which set of assumptions I try, I can't get anything
close to the values in _Machinery's Handbook_.

I was going to throw together a quick computer program to handle
it (with some tricks for the multi-'0' gauges), as I have done with
number sized screws.

You can
apply metric conversion to the formula by multiplying by 25.4.

An added option for the program when the inital part of it is
working properly.

Thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564