I am not an adhesives expert, but played one at work. We did not have
any copper things to bond, but I do know that most adhesives don't do
well with copper. The copper kill the curing agent or something like
that. You might do some searching on Google for the reasons, or just
go to your local hardware store and buy some epoxy that is formulated
for copper.
You can find it in the plumbing area.

Getting a rough clean surface is probably not going to work with
regular epoxy.
Of course having a clean surface is going to be needed, unless maybe
you use an industrial polyurethane adhesive.

Dan

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

You didn't say what kind of "glue" you were using. I'd suggest trying
epoxy, even the "5 minute" kind should work for your application.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia