bridger

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:
In building a router table, the instructions specify laying out the
laminate on top and bottom of the bonded surface and then having you
rout out the hole for the router plate.

sounds right.

For the miter slot, which is better - (1) routing for the miter slot
first (taking into consideration the depth required for 'butting up' the
laminate against an installed miter slot, or (2) installing the laminate
first and routing out the groove for the miter slot?

why do you want to go cutting slots in your router table anyway?

Option (2) seems to the be usual approach, but doesn't that increase the
risk of minute chipping (where the laminate will be meeting the miter slot?

if you have to...

this seems to me to be the right approach. use a sharp carbide cutter,
either a straight router bit or dado blade in the table saw. if your
stuff is set up right, chipping shouldn't be a problem. this way, the
slot is clean (no lam glue overspray or drips to worry about) and the
depth is totally controllable (contact cement glueline can vary a few
thousandths, not to mention all of that measuring and adding... : )

I was thinking that if I installed the miter slot first, then I could
install the laminate on both sides of the slot, having it butt up nice
and clean to the installed slot.

generally standard practice with laminates is to trim after assembly.
but whatever floats your boat....

Any opinions? Thanks!

listen to pat warner.

Jack