Larry Jaques

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:45:16 -0400, the opaque "Andrew H. Wakefield"
clearly wrote:

Someone gave me a Record 3VS vice yesterday -- threw it in with some
woodworking tools that I was buying. That's the mini-gloat. Now here are the
questions:

1) What is one of these worth? This one is just a little beat up, but mostly
in very good condition.

More than you paid for it. What size? IAC, good gloat.

New, they're £102.68 to £151.75 Incl VAT (EU)
£87.39 Excl VAT (Outside EU)
$159.09USD
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/pages/moreinfoa.asp?pe=BCHHDCHQ_+Record+No3vs+Mechanics+ Vice+Swivel&cid=880
Used, anywhere from half that on down.

2) When I run it in and out, it is very smooth except for the last 1/4" or
so. Suddenly it gets much stiffer. I can tighten it all the way up, but I'm
wondering what is causing that extra difficulty at the end. I haven't had a
chance to disassemble and inspect it yet, but does anybody have any ideas
what I should look for?

Dirty globs of gummed-up grease, of course. Secondary might be a bent
shaft and/or hammered threads. Flip it over and find out.

I use regular moly wheel bearing grease on my mechanic's vise (6" HFT)
every decade or so. That was a good $25 purchase 3 lubes ago.

--

If it weren't for jumping to conclusions, some of us wouldn't get any exercise.
www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming