Travis Jordan

alt.home.repair wrote:
if the unit costs $3500 for a 13 SEER, XR12, R22, 10-5-1, then do you
think it makes sense to try and get the $4300 14SEER, XL series,
10-10-2 ?? even if I get the 10-10-10 for $400 on the other model,
I'm still only $400 away from a better unit outside, higher SEER, and
newer technology.....just some thought, not to mention the free
electric filter thingy.

The XL14 is certainly a nice system...I like the side-discharge top
design which keeps water off the condenser fan motor. When paired with
a VS air handler the system is rated at 15.0 SEER. It does have a big
footprint 50Hx37Wx34D so make sure that it will fit on your pad with
12" clearances on at least two sides, and the other two sides
unrestricted.

The warranties aren't directly comparable. A 10 year Trane extended
parts and labor warranty covers everything that could go wrong with the
system, while the "10-10-2" warranty is 10 years on the compressor,
10 years on other "internal functional parts", and 2 years labor.

Let's assume that after two years a braze joint develops a pinhole leak
and all the refrigerant leaks out. Absent the extended warranty you
will be charged for the cost of the service call, the repair, and the
replacement refrigerant.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Tra...rrantyFAQ.aspx