abi

I'll say it. Batts suck in Canada in the attic. Why waste your time?
Blown in is better. Cellulose, of course. Foam is even better, but
pricey. I have a definite grudge against fiberglass. In case you
haven't noticed.

Why? see http://www.sustainableenterprises.com/fin/index.htm - but
that's another story...

If you do use foam or cellulose, either a contractor or a
do-it-yourself spray foam kit, be careful you or they don't block the
eave vents if you have the "eave vent to ridge vent" configuration or,
as someone so wisely stated, you'll have a potential problem with ice
dams if the seal isn't complete and moist air gets up into the attic
from the living area.

Hurry up, winter in Canada starts tomorrow! ;0)

abi