Edward W. Thompson

Default Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:09:22 +0100, "RichardS" noaccess@invalid
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:47:30 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Granted I would rather not robots issuing black and white judgement with
no ability to accept inputs of common sense in the first place. If you
must have them, them at least some form of explanation as to why they
are there, may help lower public hostility and reduce the siege
mentality they induce.

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
Would I be correct to assume that all those that post opposing "Speed
Cameras" for whatever reason are those that break the speed limit?

snip

Your belief in the effecacy of speed cameras in bringing about safe motoring
habits is simplistic and deeply flawed.

I don't think I suggested that I think that "Speed Cameras" will by
themselves bring about safe motoring. What I do suggest is that they
are one of the "tools" or "means" to that end. Any means to curb
excessive speed will help in saving lives, perhaps your own!

Have I broken a speed limit, of course I have, but inadvertently but I
do not oppose the monitoring of roads using cameras or by any other
means.

Having lived in North America for the past 25 years and not live in
the UK, I am amazed at the irresponsible way people drive in the UK,
and in Europe in general. To say many, perhaps not most, UK drivers
are ignorant and irresponsible would not, in my opinion, be
unreasonable. Driving the motorways is often a nightmare and
observing the speed limit and the speed restrictions on these roads is
apparently for the "nerds".