user wrote:
I had a mysterious wet spot in my basement, as well, a while back.
A very noticable amount of water, about 6 feet from the nearest wall,
but the surrounding floor/walls/ceiling were bone dry. No cracks,
no seepage, and so on. It drove me nuts.

I found the source one day when I went down into the basement
one morning - water had accumulated in a window well, and once
it got deep enough, it jetted across the room through the edge of
the window for just a moment. The path of the stream dried out within
an hour, while the area with the puddle stayed wet for a day. If I
hadn't gone down to the basement at exactly the right moment, I'd
probably have thought it was aliens, too. ;-)

- Rich

LOL! That's amazing, Rich! (And I'm not laughing AT you, I'm
laughing...TOWARD you ;-] ).

Our basement windows are actually about 4"-6" above grade, not in
window wells, so we probably aren't victims of capricious spitting
windows.