user

On 20 Aug 2005 12:16:21 -0700, wrote:
There are over 12,000 hits on basement water in alt.home.repair. But I
couldn't find anything that quite matched up with what I'm facing.
We've had water appear in the basement guest room twice now. Once one
year ago, once last week. And I seem to have ruled out all possible
sources...so I must be overlooking something.

I had a mysterious wet spot in my basement, as well, a while back.
A very noticable amount of water, about 6 feet from the nearest wall,
but the surrounding floor/walls/ceiling were bone dry. No cracks,
no seepage, and so on. It drove me nuts.

I found the source one day when I went down into the basement
one morning - water had accumulated in a window well, and once
it got deep enough, it jetted across the room through the edge of
the window for just a moment. The path of the stream dried out within
an hour, while the area with the puddle stayed wet for a day. If I
hadn't gone down to the basement at exactly the right moment, I'd
probably have thought it was aliens, too. ;-)

- Rich