Steven L Umbach

The dishwasher!

Dishwashers are usually sealed pretty well or you will experience water
leaks. The drain sounds like a possible entrance place since it is about the
only opening into a dishwasher assuming it is mostly closed though I can't
figure how they would get into it. Dishwasher drains usually are a flexible
tube or hose that goes to the drain for your sink above the trap. If that is
your case try putting some sugar in the sink to see if they show there and
check your under sink areas real good with a flashlight and remove the
bottom access panel to your dishwasher to see if you can see anything under
there.

You say you spray around the exterior. I don't know if you mean the
foundation also. My foundation is about six inches above ground level and I
spray it all around the house top to ground level and make sure that there
are no plants or weeds that grow up the side of it. I suppose if you have
any cracks in it they still may be able to get in underground. If you can
view your foundation walls in the basement or crawl space then check that
out and try to seal or spray any cracks. Be careful and read instructions
and warnings for any pesticide particularly if you have children or pets
that you care about.

I buy ant killer concentrate that I can put in my weed sprayer tank so that
I can make a few gallons economically and have plenty to spray. It has
helped control ants when we have problems but we do not have near the
problem you seem to have. My wife and daughter would go absolutely nuts if
they saw ants in our dishwasher! A good pest control place will usually give
you a guarantee of their job for a reasonable timeframe though be careful to
not sign a contract that requires regular visits for a year unless that is
what you want. Good luck. --- Steve

wrote in message
oups.com...
For the last 2 years our house has been under assualt by small black,
sugar-eating ants. I reluctantly called a pest service last year. They
sent this fat guy with a big tank of bug spray on his belt. He
proceeded to spray my kithcen floors and counter. Big deal. I can do
that with Raid.
This year my son and I launched a counterstrike. We hit them outside,
setting up baits of sugar and following their trails to several
colonies, most nearly the base of large trees. We put diazanon granules
all over the yard and sprayed around the exterior of the house
regularly. But alas they are tough. We won some battles but the ants
are still winning the war. Now we notice that when we open the
dishwasher there are thousands of them. Are they coming thru the
dishwasher drain? Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is the
21st century and we should be able to beat these little *******s.

Thanks