caledon

Default insulation

Hi, I need advice on insulating my old house (105 yrs. old). There is
virtually NO insulation in the attic at all. Between the joists you
can see the lathe and plaster. There are scatterings of insulation here
and there that is basically usless and likely should be removed (since
critters have used it as a urinal).

My question is, if I put down batts of insulation, should I FIRST be
putting plastic down as a vapour barrier. I think I read that some
types of insulation comes with a built in vapour barrier on one side.

I thought that I would remove the old rotted insulation that is
currently there, put in batts of fresh insulation then blow in more on
top. Any suggestions

thanks
Janet