meirman

In sci.electronics.repair on Mon, 22 Aug 2005 05:35:53 GMT
posted:

meirman wrote:
Or should I have the phone company come and do it according to their
standards?

Call the phone company. I once dug up two 5-pair cables (on the property
I was living on; they had a lot of phone lines) with a trencher. I went
as far as figuring out which end was which, then called the phone company.
The lineman came out and used gel-filled insulation displacement splices

I don't have any of those!

(the little colored buttons about 10 mm or 3/8" diameter) to do each
individual wire. Then, he bundled up the splices from each cable and
put them in a thing that looked like a toothpaste tube of silicone
sealant with the end cut off.

I don't have any of those!

He advised me to wait a little while for

I can wait. I can do that part.

the sealant to set, then bury the wires and splices again and forget
about it. The phone lines were fine for the next couple of years that I
lived there.

I'm convinced. Thanks.

Matt Roberds

Meirman