Andrew H. Wakefield

Default Mini-gloat and two questions

Someone gave me a Record 3VS vice yesterday -- threw it in with some
woodworking tools that I was buying. That's the mini-gloat. Now here are the
questions:

1) What is one of these worth? This one is just a little beat up, but mostly
in very good condition.

2) When I run it in and out, it is very smooth except for the last 1/4" or
so. Suddenly it gets much stiffer. I can tighten it all the way up, but I'm
wondering what is causing that extra difficulty at the end. I haven't had a
chance to disassemble and inspect it yet, but does anybody have any ideas
what I should look for?

Thanks!

Andy