Rex B

himog wrote:
I haven't used any indexable milling cutters yet, and have some
questions.

First, are indexable end mills that take triangular inserts really end
mills in the sense that an ordinary end mill is an end mill? That is,
do they mill on the end, or just the side? If not, then aren't they
*really* small diameter 90 degree angle face milling cutters?

I bought a small one in the process of acquiring standard tooling for a
new minimill, but am a bit vague about the correct use of it.
Conventional fluted mill seem to fit most of what I'd be doing, and
flycutter is for finishing a surface. So what is the indexible carbide
cutter best used for ?

Rex B