meirman wrote:
Or should I have the phone company come and do it according to their
standards?

Call the phone company. I once dug up two 5-pair cables (on the property
I was living on; they had a lot of phone lines) with a trencher. I went
as far as figuring out which end was which, then called the phone company.
The lineman came out and used gel-filled insulation displacement splices
(the little colored buttons about 10 mm or 3/8" diameter) to do each
individual wire. Then, he bundled up the splices from each cable and
put them in a thing that looked like a toothpaste tube of silicone
sealant with the end cut off. He advised me to wait a little while for
the sealant to set, then bury the wires and splices again and forget
about it. The phone lines were fine for the next couple of years that I
lived there.

Matt Roberds