Bob N

We live in a 100 + year old house and just recently pulled the carpet to
find the heartwood pine under it. There were several boards needing
replacing during the refinishing process. Our floor man found that the
yellow pine at Home depot was nearly a perfect match. We have been very
happy with the results.

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Barry wrote:

I'm repairing floors in a home that is over 145 years old. The T&G
flooring is heartwood Southern Yellow Pine. There are a few boards
needing replacement here and there in the room. Then there is one area
about 5' x 6' in front of a window. It is dry rotted and needs to be
replaced with stable material to match the rest of this room so that
when sanded for refinishing it will match.
Anyone out there have any suggestions as to where to find or make
replacement boards
The original floor is 7/8" thick. I've done some dumpster diving to
rescue old yellow pine from every manner of architectural components
that contractors throw away. .... doors baseboards etc.... Have been
able to salvage some useable materials so far.
I'm in the Northern Kentucky area across the river from Cincinnati.

B. Frye

Don't have a specific vendor but if Rick M's suggestion doesn't pan out
there are several recycling/reclaiming places advertising in places like
Fine Homebuilding, etc. They're pricey undoubtedly for old material but
it will be very difficult to find new that comes even close to the old
closed-grain material.