Leo Lichtman

"Barry N. Turner" wrote: Draw yourself a half-pattern on 1/4" birch
plywood. Take your measurements with a ruler and calipers. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Of course, you are right, Barry. It is important to work from a set a
measurements. It is also good to have a picture or profile, so the
appearance of the copy is right. Remember, though, that it does not have to
be dead accurate. Chances are the reproduction you are making will never be
compared directly with the original. Even slight differences from leg to
leg on the same table are usually not detectable to the naked eye.

On my lathe, I have a laser light, pointed straight down, and supported on a
set of adjustable links, so I can aim it wherever I want. If I were doing
your project, I would make the first leg to my satisfaction, and then set
the laser to a significant transition point on the leg. Then, I would
insert each of the other three legs, and create that point on each, without
allowing the laser to move. I would then put back the completed leg, move
the laser to another feature point, and go through the routine again on the
other three. In a short time you will have all the recognizable edges,
coves and beads outlined. It is then just a matter of fairing in the curves
in between. It is good to supplement this process with a pair of calipers,
to improve accuracy.