Bruce L. Bergman

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 10:32:50 GMT, Nick Hull
wrote:
In article ,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Really? That surprises me. I was also assuming that Nick was referring
to non-stranded wire, as the wires seemed to be running around his property.

It still can wick up under the insulation during the soldering.
This is why only rosin-based flux is used for electrical soldering

However -- if he is using sold rather than stranded wire (I've
seen both used outdoors), my advice to use crimp splices and crimp
tooling is perhaps not the best. The crimp tooling works better on
stranded wire.

I want a CHEAP solution since I'm only doing a few at a time; yes it's
solid wire and i'm not worried about the insulation since I can strip it
back and only flux the bare wire.

What are you using this wire for? If it's for low voltage wiring
like a 12/24V Malibu Lights system, you can use Rosin Flux (liquid or
paste) before soldering, and not worry about wicking because it's
non-reactive when cold.

If this is for 120V AC landscape lighting, you would be far better
off with waterproof silicone grease filled wirenuts made for the
purpose, King and Ideal make them, and they are carried at good Home
Improvement stores and wholesale houses.

And for 120V wiring it does have to be enclosed in something -
either a buried flush handhole (Christie, Et Al), PVC conduit risers
and a PVC or Aluminum box, or a mounting post/bollard (RAB Mighty
Post, Perma-Post, Arlington Gard-N-Post). Direct burial with no
enclosure is not smart.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545