Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to post some photos later today.

I took some advice from the forum and put a ball of solder on the end
of the stub. I then inserted this into the hole and held a soldering
iron to the post. I had practiced before doing this and learned that
the solder on the tip (about 1 cm away) melts after about 36 seconds.

So I held the soldering iron onto the pin in place for about 45 seconds
and things seem to work now. I'm not altogether happy with this
solution and would like to find someone who could join the two pieces
together with a highly conductive post. This is an audiophile grade
system and I don't like my band-aid solution. I don't relish the idea
of shipping a 130lb speaker back to Utah for repairs though.

Anyone in the bay area want to take on this project or recommend a
place? Let me know what it would take.

Thanks!